viernes, 30 de octubre de 2015

Thing 2 How I became a Librarian




This Thing must be done before I go any further. I started being a librarian since I was 23 after gaining a position at the National Library in my country. I only had a technological preparation for it as there were not librarianship university degrees at that time. After one year cataloguing I was moved to be part of a new project that involved a book bus being taken to unprivileged places surrounding Quito. It was a demanding job because we didn´t had a limit of hours to dedicate to our tasks every day. We were so excited with this activity that usually got commited more hours than those in our work contract. We not only gave on loan books but organised festivals and projected films at night. I greatly enjoyed that time and now I can see how influential it was for my life because from that experiences grew my love for books and libraries. The relationship and the magical connections between books and children were so clear and marvellous that did drew the path for other things I´ve done in my life.
The book bus project ended due to lack of budget and after that experience I worked in a bookshop, then as an editor in several publishing houses and finally as librarian at my current job in an international school. Three years ago I had again the opportunity to get enrolled in another book bus experience, The Bisee Book Bus, and travelled to different parts of Ecuador with students to promote reading  and implement small reading corners in little schools in need. Once more this project went down due to budgets and administrative problems in Ecuador and at the moment we are trying to find a way to make it work.
Lately I´ve started to teach primary students, since this year because my school can´t afford having two librarians. It´s new for me but very enriching and I really enjoy it. Every time I can I find myself looking for a nice short story to retell the children and thinking how to make it more attractive and interactive. Teaching library skills to primary students is also more easy than to secondary students. Maybe sec students are more into more complex studies and I feel they need to learn things that will help them immediately. They are the generation that want all to come fast and be quick. With primary students there is more enjoyment, at least till now.
I also write books for children and teenagers, actually only two published, one for each group age. Having being recommended for publication after participating in the contests has brought happiness and a sense of accomplishment in my profession and my life. All these activities and experiences interwine and make me who I am.

1 comentario:

  1. What an interesting career! It's great getting to know you through your blog posts. You are really passionate about your work. I love it!

    ResponderEliminar