miércoles, 28 de octubre de 2015

Thing 11 Reflective Practice



I hate procrastination. I´m the kind of librarian that wants to get everything done because can´t bear having tasks on a cue. But being a librarian is just that. There are always things to do in the library, it´s difficult to find a moment where all the orders have been done, all the books catalogued, shelved, mended, outstanding books being recalled... there is no way to have an ¨ I´ve finished moment ¨ in any library. You might finish for the day but not totally finished. So, being a person who feels that everything should be done as soon as possible to avoid procrastination is not actually totally good. It might be good for your boss in terms of having administrative things done and on time but not so good for the mystic of librarianship. When you feel that is imperative to be done with those boring tasks before having the pleasure of browsing a new book or enjoying a nice reading moment with students or extending a chat with a patron or retelling a story to a child who requests it... you really need to stop and reflect on priorities. It will always be nice to have an assistant to help with those tasks but is not my case and from what I can see the trend is to reduce staff.

At the moment I´m in half term holidays so I can catch up with Rudai things and feel so glad to accomplish them. At one moment I just thought that I will never finish it and that anyway what was done until then was fine. But I keep progressing and getting over the shyness of being exposed which I feel is a strong impediment that holds me back in this process.  My plan for this holiday is to do at least one thing per day, if two are done I´ll be done by next Wednesday! I like the way how the Rudai team nurture us, this is a great experience and I´m very thankful!

1 comentario:

  1. Hi Maggie,
    Delighted to see that you are so enthusiastic about getting Rudai23 finished. You are doing a great job. I agree, there are never enough hours in the day to get everything finished, but you are right, you have to prioritise.
    Thanks :)

    ResponderEliminar